If you are thinking about supporting CYM then volunteering your time and talents would be a great way of doing so. At CYM volunteers are organized through the Friends of CYM.
If you want to learn more about what the Friends of CYM have been up to recently, read our latest update HERE.
The Friends of CYM (FCYM) is a vibrant community made of parents and relatives of current and former CYM students. Our volunteers contribute whatever skills they wish: some bake or help run the canteen, some take photos, design posters or assist with Upbeat, some fundraise, some run bars at events and concerts. All help and contributions are warmly welcome.
We are keen to recruit new volunteers to replace those who have left the community this year. In particular we are looking for volunteers to help run the canteen at Notre Dame.
This is our charity’s main fundraiser and is staffed entirely by parent volunteers. All monies raised go directly to provide extra benefits for students, e.g. buying or repairing instruments.
Being part of the canteen team is a great way to meet other parents and tutors and it is good fun. A big pool of volunteers is required so all work can be split into very manageable commitments. We need parents to sell, to bake cakes, collect bagels, prepare sandwiches, set up and pack away.
E-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org or come and talk to us in the canteen if you could spare a couple of hours a week.
The canteen offers sandwiches and rolls, hot and cold drinks, cake and sweets, all at reasonable prices. We now take contactless card payments as well as cash. We also stock some strings, reeds and exam board music theory books.
FCYM AGM REPORTSIncome Statement August 2021 Bookkeeping 2020-21 AGM 2021 Minutes
FCYM’s aim is threefold:
Make CYM a fun place to be with a strong sense of community by
- Running a Saturday canteen offering home-made cakes and sandwiches
- Organising great events throughout the year, for example:
- Wine tasting evening
- Music sale (sale of donated sheet and recorded music)
- Clutter buster
- Bar and refreshments at concerts
- Leavers’ mementoes
Help promote CYM in London with:
- Assist CYM with the publication of UPEBEAT, an online newsletter and magazine which portrays the exciting life at CYM
- The organization of two Open Days in the Spring Term
Support CYM by:
- Complementing the work of FYM through raising additional money for the acquisition, repair and maintenance of instruments, for activities such as master classes and workshops, and for travel costs for students attending external festivals and events.
- Coordinating the collection and the refurbishment of unused instruments generously donated to FCYM: Rescue-and-liberate-your-musical-instruments
- Providing licensed chaperones to enable CYM students to accept invitations to perform at major public venues, including the Royal Festival Hall, the Royal Albert Hall, the Globe Theatre, Abbey Road Recording Studios, Trafalgar Square, etc.
Match Giving Scheme
Regularly the efforts of our volunteers and donors are further enhanced by the generosity of their employers. Match giving is a scheme where a company will match the amount raised at a fund raising event that an employee is involved in. These schemes are often managed by HR or it may be something that a Chief Executive takes an interest in even if an official scheme is not in place. Do approach your employer and enquire.
Parents and relatives are welcome to continue as Friends after their young musicians have moved on from CYM. They can join us as Subscribing Friends of CYM, a special group of people who directly support our young musicians through an annual membership. In the current situation this scheme is even more important than usual to help FCYM carry out its mission. In return Subscribing Friends receive Upbeat and invitations to CYM events.
If you would like information about subscribing please email email@example.com
DBS check (Disclosure & Barring Service)
We strongly encourage our active friends to be DBS checked. For volunteers this is free! Please contact the CYM office for more details on this: firstname.lastname@example.org
FCYM: a registered charity
FCYM is a registered charity so all donations to FCYM can be gift aided to further benefit CYM.
We are very grateful for the support offered by our financial team from the treasurer, to gift aid specialist, to financial independent reviewer.